How can you start this eco-friendly oral care routine?
First things first: what is eco-friendly? It means not harmful to the environment. And by protecting the environment we are also ensuring ourselves and future generations a better quality of life and overall health. And yes, you can be eco-friendly in your oral care routine, saving water while brushing, choosing a biodegradable toothbrush, making less waste and a few other things listed here.
Relax, there’s no need for radical changes in products and habits, like swapping every plastic in your bathroom. We propose you to look into your oral care routine following this checklist below and just commit to one single step for a given period to get consistent results and a genuine sense of change for the better.
Where do you start this eco-friendly oral care routine?
Our checklist is just a kick-off in random order. Choose whatever step is easier for you, in order not to feel the pressure, because embracing a more eco-friendly oral care is not happening overnight. Maybe you prefer to start by changing a product, or maybe you rather try a new habit. Set the tone for the day!
REDUCE WATER CONSUMPTION
- Turn off water
- Install a tap flow restrictor or aerator
- Use a glass or mug
- Don’t rinse after brushing
- Brush twice a day
REDUCE WASTE IN ORAL CARE PRODUCTS
Because clearly it will help the environment.
Avoiding single-use plastic and less packaging is a must-do in sustainable dental hygiene. Check what you can do with the main oral care products to go more eco-friendly one step at a time.
Refuse plastic toothbrush and choose an eco-friendly toothbrush
- Plastic toothbrushes are essentially indestructible. They are made from polypropylene plastic (handle) which is sourced from non-renewable fossil fuels. Obviously this greatly affects the environment as well our health.
- The major problem is that plastic toothbrushes end up in the oceans and you can easily avoid it by choosing a biodegradable toothbrush and packaging.
- Sustainable toothbrushes are made of bamboo, recycled plastic, corn starch, wheat straw or even recycled yoghurt pots.
The pros to swap to a bamboo toothbrush
- Bamboo is naturally sustainable, organic, vegan and cruelty-free material
- Since dentists & hygienists recommend changing toothbrushes every 3 to 4 months for an healthy oral care, you might consider a reusable handle and you’ll only need to change the head and not the full toothbrush, thus minimizing waste.
- The bamboo handle is 100% biodegradable or you can give it a second life in useful and creative ways.
Choosing an eco-friendly toothbrush is indeed a wonderful step in your oral care routine. Keep smiling!